Advertisement

Ara Pacis Museum
Richard Meier & Partners

June 27, 2005 /

Rome, Italy

arapacis_1.jpgPhoto courtesy Richard Meier & Partners

The Ara Pacis Museum, located along the Tiber River, near the Ponte Cavour, on the western edge of the Piazza Augusto Imperatore, is an integral part of the urban context of the Augustean Area.

The clarity of the volumes and the building's proportions relate in scale to Rome's ancient structures.

The Museum is designed to house the ancient relic, the Ara Pacis Augustae, a sacrificial altar dating to 9 B.C., originally housed in a building designed by Vittorio Ballio Morpurgo in 1938. The only surviving part of the Morpurgo structure is a low travertine wall that Mussolini had engraved with the "Res Gestae" (the Acts of the Divine Augustus). The new design by Richard Meier protects and enhances the relic.

arapacis_2.jpg
Photo courtesy Comune di Roma

Building materials include glass and concrete and an indigenous fine beige Roman travertine. The predominant feature is a13.5 meters high and 50 meters long glass curtain wall.

arapacis_3.jpg
Photo courtesy Comune di Roma

arapacis_4.jpg
Photo courtesy Comune di Roma

arapacis_5.jpg
Photo courtesy Comune di Roma

The 8.5 meter high Entry Hall, defined by four slender columns in reinforced concrete, finished with white waxed marble plaster, leads to the Main Hall which houses the Ara Pacis.

arapacis_6.jpg
Photo courtesy Comune di Roma

arapacis_7.jpg
Photo courtesy Comune di Roma

The entrance space with its subdued lighting, in contrast to the expansive top-lighting in the Great Hall, encourages a natural progression and circulation. Skylights were used to obtain the most natural lighting and to eliminate "false shadows".

Although housing and protecting the ancient altar was the main focus of this museum, the building also provides 700 square meters space for temporary exhibitions and installations dedicated to archaeological themes, as well as a digital library of Augustan culture with state-of-the-art technology.

An outdoor roof terrace above the auditorium is an essential part of the circulation of the museum. It includes a contiguous bar and café with views over the Mausoleum of Augustus to the east and the Tiber River to the west.

arapacis_8.jpg
Model photo: Jock Pottle / Esto.
arapacis_9.jpg
Model photo: Jock Pottle / Esto.
arapacis_10.jpg
Model photo: Jock Pottle / Esto.


arapacis_11.jpg
Drawing courtesy Richard Meier & Partners
Site Plan

arapacis_12.jpg
Drawing courtesy Richard Meier & Partners
Ground Floor Plan


arapacis_13.jpg
Drawing courtesy Richard Meier & Partners
Long Section

The Ara Pacis Museum is the first work of modern architecture in the Historic Center of Rome since the 1930's. The altar, which has not been moved from its original location, has been protected during construction and will be unveiled for the first time in six years on 22 September, 2005 on the occasion of the Emperor Augustus's birthday.

Facts about Ara Pacis Museum

Total Floor Area:

4,250 square meters

Architect:

Richard Meier & Partners

Design Team:

Richard Meier
John Eisler
Peter Burns
Thibaut Degryse
Simone Giostra
Alfonso D'Onofrio
Matteo Pericoli
Hans Put
Michael Vinh

Client:

Comune di Roma

 

Last updated: December 19, 2013

See also

Copyright 1999 - 2014 arcspace all rights reserved.

Feedback