The Dr Chau Chak Wing Building is a bold, yet polarizing, addition to Sydney’s growing skyline. Designed by Gehry LLP, it is located in Ultimo, an inner-city suburb several kilometres from Sydney’s central business district. It is Australia’s first work by the globally renowned studio and, unsurprisingly, has generated a healthy mix of anticipation, admiration and disappointment.
Gehry Partners, LLP
By Kirsten Kiser
Frank O. Gehry was born in Toronto, Canada, in 1929 and moved to Los Angeles in 1947. He received his Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Southern California in 1954 and then studied City Planning at the Harvard Graduate School of Design in Massachusetts until 1957. Returning to the West Coast he worked for several firms before opening his own practice Frank O. Gehry and Associates, Inc., in Los Angeles in 1962. The Gehry partnership, Gehry Partners, LLP, was formed in 2001.
Gehry first attracted serious critical attention with his own house in Santa Monica (1977 - 78) when he wrapped the small pink Californian bungalow in cheap materials such as chain link fencing, corrugated aluminum and unfinished plywood, leaving the original house inside the new house.
By the mid 1980s, his work had attracted international attention and his reputation was confirmed when he received the 1989 Pritzker Prize, the world's most prestigious architecture award.
Then came the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao (1997), hailed by architect Philip Johnson as "the greatest building of our time," followed by several projects around the world. With the completion of the Disney Concert Hall in 2004 Gehry became the most visible of an elite group of "starchitects".
In 2014 he saw the completion of one of his most dramatic buildings yet, the billowing glass and steel Fondation Louis Vuitton in Paris, France.
A Gehry building begins with a sketch after which the Gehry project team start creating models of different scales and materials to explore both the functional and sculptural aspects of the project.
As soon as I understand the scale of the building and the relationship to the site and the relationship to the client, as it becomes more and more clear to me, I start doing sketches."/Frank Gehry
The firm relies on the use of Digital Project, a sophisticated 3D computer modeling program originally created for use by the aerospace industry, to thoroughly document designs and to rationalize the bidding, fabrication, and construction processes.
The Biomuseo by Frank O. Gehry is located at the Pacific entrance of the Panama Canal, on the Amador Causeway. The purpose of the museum is to change the way we see, understand and preserve our environment.
Located at 53 Stubbs Road on The Peak, a spectacular site that has been in the Swire Group for more than 60 years, Opus Hong Kong is a sculptural 12-story building comprised of two double-level garden apartments and 10 apartments, each unique in design and occupying an entire floor of the building.
At 870 ft tall, New York by Gehry is the tallest residential tower in the Western Hemisphere and a singular addition to the iconic Manhattan skyline.
The recently revealed Dr Chau Chak Wing Building, a key component of UTS's City Campus Master Plan, will provide teaching, learning, research and office accommodation for the UTS Business School. There will be extensive public spaces, including student lounges, cafes and outdoor roof terraces.
The Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health is located on a prominent "gateway" site of the 61 acre Symphony Park development in downtown Las Vegas, at the corner of Grand Central Parkway and Bonneville Avenue.
The main entrance of New World Center is set in a soaring, 80-foot-high glass curtain wall on the east facade, providing uninterrupted views of the skylit main atrium and the dramatic, tumbling forms of the interior spaces beyond.
The Novartis Building by Gehry Partners is part of the Masterplan for Novartis, designed by Vittorio Magnano Lampugnani, that will transform the St. Johann site, its headquarters in Basel, from an industrial complex to a campus of innovation, knowledge and encounter.
The new Counceling Center, named Hejmdal, is a renovation of an existing 1908 building, designed by the Danish architect Rudolf Clausen, which served as a gateway to the Aarhus Hospital campus.
The expansion and renovation of the AGO increases the exhibition space by nearly half the original size and reorganizes the internal circulation within the museum.
Last week Frank Gehry presented his first Masterplan in Northern Europe to the city of Sønderborg.
The 2008 Serpentine Pavilion is Frank Gehry's first built structure in England, and also the first time he collaborated with his son Samuel Gehry.
Located in Grant Park, along the edge of Lake Michigan, the Jay Pritzker Pavilion is an open-air venue featuring performances by the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra, as well as jazz, blues, and other world music performances.
The overall plan for the Hall Winery, acquired by Craig and Kathryn Hall in 2003, consists of three state-of-the-art production warehouses and two "showpiece" structures related to wine tours, tasting, and retail sales.
The "white" glass, etched with a white pattern, gives the appearance of a tall ship in full sail.
The Foundation Louis Vuitton will be located at the Jardin d'Acclimatation, adjacent to the Bois de Boulogne on the westside of Paris. The building will serve as a gateway to the Jardin, with an entrance hall located at ground level serving both as the entry to the museum as well as the entry to the Jardin.
The winery of Vinos Herederos del Marques de Riscal is located in Elciego, in the Rioja region of Spain, and is one of the oldest wineries in the region. The building is a series of rectilinear elements, clad in sandstone, combined with sweeping panels of gold and pink titanium, and mirror finish stainless steel.
The Marta Herford is one of the first museums in Germany to present the interfaces between art, design, fashion and architecture as a site for reflection and aesthetic articulation.
Der Neue Zollhof is situated at the Eastern edge of the Rhine River harbor front in downtown Düsseldorf, near the administrative complex of the North Rhine Westphalia province.
The Lewis Science Library, located on a two acre site on the main campus, is envisioned as an efficient, easily accessible environment conducive to the research requirements of the Princeton University community in the 21st century.
Gehry moves into 40,000 square foot warehouse and opens two new divisions, Gehry Design and Gehry Technologies.
Panama is the ideal place to showcase biodiversity. Its wealth of natural life, diversity of environments and climate, and abundance of water combine to produce an unparalleled intensity at every scale of the chain of life.
Maggie Keswick Jencks, who died of breast cancer in 1995, pioneered the setting up of several small cancer caring centres in the UK. The philosophy behind Maggie's Centres is that your immediate environment affects your well-being. These intimate buildings are the first stage in helping sufferers manage their fears.
The Condé Nast Cafeteria is located on the fourth floor of the Condé Nast Publishing Headquarters designed by Fox & Fowle Architects at Four Times Square in New York City.
Located on a historically and culturally prominent downtown site, the Walt Disney Concert Hall is the permanent home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. The Concert Hall is situated on historic Bunker Hill at the intersection of First Street and Grand Avenue, adjacent to the existing Music Center of Los Angeles.
Last week, at a special presentation, the principals of Canadian-based, Vincor International and Boisset, La Famille des Grands Vins, of Nuits-St-Georges, France, revealed the design for Le Clos Jordan Winery in Canada’s Niagara Peninsula.
The Corcoran Gallery of Art is located in Washington, DC, adjacent to the White House and the National Mall. Founded in 1869, the Corcoran Gallery of Art is Washington's oldest art museum and its only college of art and design.
The Pariser Platz 3 is a mixed-use building comprised of the Berlin Headquarters of DZ Bank and a residential component with 39 apartments. The commercial component of the building is oriented towards Pariser Platz and the Brandenburg Gate, and the residential component towards Behrenstrasse.
Exhibits and public programs are envisioned as a three-dimensional floating puzzle formed by six elements, with each piece being critical to the shape and the nature of the whole.