The new Architecture Museum is located in one of Norway's first monumental Empire Style buildings, designed by Christian Grosch in 1830, and a four-story building that was added in 1910.
The cast on site construction is square in plan with four large
columns supporting the slightly curved concrete roof. The facades
are glass, blurring the transition between outside and inside.
Exterior glass louvers provide for sun screening.
Visitors enter the museum through the original Main entrance in
the Grosch Building. All public functions, Reception, Bookstore,
Café etc., are located in the Main Hall on the ground floor. The
Library and the Administration are located on the second
The goal for the restoration was to recreate the buildings original character and accentuate the structure to interact with the new elements. The original room sizes have been reestablished when possible.
Focus has been on excellent craftsmanship, using period methods when applicable. The materials used have been few; walls are plastered and painted with an oil based paint, stucco lofts have been repaired and reconstructed.
Technical installations were fitted to the existing construction, preserving the architectural language in a satisfying way.
The museum opened in 2008 with a retrospective of 1997 Pritzker Prize Laureate Sverre Fehn.
Facts about Exhibition Pavilion
Kristoffer Moe Bøksle
Kåre Hagen AS
Statsbygg & The National Museum
Last updated: January 14, 2013