Advertisement

Michael Moran

November 07, 2010 /

Photographer Michael Moran has been documenting Philip Johnson's spread in New Canaan, Connecticut over a period of several years. The result can be seen in a privately printed book, of only 2,000 copies, that has become a collectors item.

Michael Moran talks about the evolution of the book.
arcspace is very excited to be able to show you Michael Moran's photographs of "The Glass House"; one of the most famous houses in America.

Part One of the exhibition is "The Glass House" alone. Part two "Pavilions in the Landscape" shows several of the individual structures, on the 40-acre landscaped complex,

Philip Johnson has built since he purchased the first lot in 1946.

The house forms a nucleus of 40- acre landscaped complex that contain many other structures. Michael Moran's photographs present the Glass House in this greater context, and demonstrate that neither part - the house nor its surroundings - would make sense alone./Hilary Lewis, Philip Johnson's biographer

Part One
Michael Moran
Philip Johnson's Glass House

Michael Moran-1.jpg

Michael Moran-2.jpg

Michael Moran-3.jpg

Michael Moran-4.jpg

Michael Moran-5.jpg

Michael Moran-6.jpg

Michael Moran-7.jpg


Michael Moran-8.jpg

Michael Moran-9.jpg

Michael Moran-10.jpg

Michael Moran-11.jpg

Michael Moran-12.jpg

Michael Moran-13.jpg

Michael Moran-14.jpg


Michael Moran-15.jpg

Michael Moran-16.jpg


Michael Moran-17.jpg


Michael Moran-18.jpg

Michael Moran-19.jpg

Part Two
Michael Moran
Pavilions in the Landscape
Philip Johnson's Glass House

The individual structures, built over a period of fifty years, are all part of Philip Johnson's personal appreciation of architectural history. Through the years he has been designing, building and working the forty acre property surrounding the Glass House.

 

The Philip Johnson property is open to the public through the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

01---guest-house.jpg
The Guest House  1949

 

02---guest-house.jpg
The Guest House 1949

The Guest House (Brick House),  remodelled in 1953, contains a bedroom, reading room and bathroom connected by a narrow corridor.  

 

03---pavilion.jpg
The Pavilion  1962
The six foot tall Pavilion is situated by a man-made pond.

 

04---pavilion.jpg
The Pavilion

 

Photo-5.jpg
The Painting Gallery 1967

The exterior of the Painting Gallery is a grass covered mound topped by a low parapet with a monumental stone entrance.

 

06---painting-gallery.jpg
The Painting Gallery 1967

Philip Johnson designed the Painting Gallery to house his collection of modern paintings.

 

07---sculpture-gallery.jpg
The Sculpture Gallery 1970

The plan for the Sculpture Gallery is a pentagon of two grids set at 45 degree angles to each other. 

 

08---sculpture-gallery.jpg
The Sculpture Gallery 1970
The sculptures are placed in a series of bays.

 

09---sculpture-gallery.jpg
The Sculpture Gallery 1970
The staircase was inspired by the Greek islands.

 

10----entrance-gate.jpg
The Entrance Gate 1981

A modern, abstract reference to the medieval gate.

 

11---studio.jpg
The Studio 1980

The Studio is a one room workspace.

 

12---studio.jpg
The Studio 1980

The Studio library is filled with architecture books.

 

13---ghost-house.jpg
The Ghost House 1984

The Ghost House, described by Johnson as "the spirit of a classical house", was built on an existing stone foundation.

 

15---gate-house.jpg
The Monument 1985

The Monument, a tribute to New York City Ballet founder Lincoln Kirstein, has a winding stairway leading nowhere.

 

14---monument-lincoln-kirst.jpg
The Monument 1985

 

16---gate-house.jpg
The Gate House 1995

The sculptural Gate House will serve as the visitors pavilion when the property opens to the public.

 

17---gate-house.jpg
The Gate House 1995

 

18---gate-house.jpg
The Gate House 1995

 

19---gate-house.jpg
The Gate House 1995

 

Last updated: December 19, 2013

See also

Copyright 1999 - 2014 arcspace all rights reserved.